Monday, June 8, 2015

Productivity Update

I'm always fascinated by ways to get stuff done, particularly at work. 

It's changed quite a bit since I've been in my current role, and moved even further away from 'hands on keyboard' work more to staying in the loop, collaborating, and building future visions.

One major change is ejecting my blackberry from my life. I picked up an iPhone 6, and it has radically changed how I work.


Tasks
Tasks now go 100% into Omnifocus 2. It's a pretty seamless thing with the iPhone, you can have it take over from the built in reminders app.


Omnifocus allows you to structure your tasks from many different perspectives -- there are 'contexts' which is essentially GTD speak for 'what do I have available?' My main contexts are '@Office,' which contains sub-contexts for @1-1 with my boss, @1-1 with my mentor, @my boss' leadership meetings, @my manager meetings, etc.

In this way, I can 'remind' myself to take specific actions at specific locations -- at my next team meeting, for example. Or just (increasingly infrequently) sitting at my desk. 

The point is to only be reminded of things you can do when you can actually do it.

You can also flag things that need to be done a specific date, and for specific projects.

For example, our upcoming San Fran trip is a project. It contains actions for @Office, @Home, and due on specific dates -- pack passports the day before @Home is one of them. Book our seats @Office the day before the flight is another.

You can also do geofencing to remind you when your GPS tells you something is close, but I generally avoid that.

Having these tasks sync seamlessly with my iPad, my macbook pro, and my iMac, and I'm pretty covered however I work.

Notes
I use Evernote religiously for notes. Meeting minutes, ideas for upcoming trips, scanned in insurance receipts, all that kind of stuff that GTD calls 'reference' material.


Works great with the iPhone and everywhere else I work. Got a pile of resumes to review, using scannable on the iPhone, and bam -- they're in Evernote and OCR'd to boot. Now I can review them wherever I happen to be, and search for them once they're filed away.

The great thing about Evernote is it actually works better the more you use it. Tagging gets smarter, searches get smarter, and it autosuggests other notes for you that are like the one you are in right now.

Email
Astoundingly, Microsoft bought a small app company and pumped out the really good Outlook app. It integrates together my work and gmail accounts seamlessly, works well with Siri, and actually does AD lookups on my corporate email so I can find everyone.


Having a 'focused' inbox that filters out spam for me is great, too.

SIRI
Siri is the bomb. Hold down the middle button, dictate your ask, and away she goes. Hands free note taking, adding reminders, sending texts or emails. Even asking what the weather is next week in San Fran, looking up map locations, playing the next song. 

Siri is one of those things that has openned up a whole new world now that I don't have to write complex emails on the little tap-tap touch keyboard. She doesn't always get it right, but she seems to learn, and mostly she works great.

Kobo
I bought Hiyat a kobo e-reader that she never used, gave it to Gabe, and he never used it, either. So I inherited it back. Buying books wirelessly is great, and it's great to be able to read in the dark and not bug Hiyat.

The really great thing is discovering the Kobo iOS app -- being able to read a page or two of my book in the Starbucks line for example, and it remembers your page in every device you're reading on -- and all of a sudden I'm reading a lot more.

Now, if only I could get Siri to dictate my book to me in the car...

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook