Wednesday, January 1, 2003

/. Thread: What Should I Do With My Life?

The whole way "success" is defined has problems. Its like were always thinking "If I could just get to _that_ point Ill feel successful." The problem is, _that_ point keeps moving. Think about it, when we were in high school, if we could just graduate and turn 18 then wed be grown up, mature, and happy. In college, if we could just graduate and get that coveted degree, then wed be successful and people would give us the respect we deserve. Okay, now weve got a degree, if I can just find a job paying at least... Hmm, Ive got that job but I wish it gave me more fulfillment. If I could get the job that guy has, then Id be much happier and people would see how successful I am. Oh yeah, and it pays more so I can get more toys. Oh no, Mr SoAndSo saw me driving my Accord. I better go talk to the dealer about leasing a Lexus so the clients at work wont think Im second rate. Oh yeah, and Bob bought that new big screen tv at Best Buy - I think I saw one two inches bigger at Circuit City that I may have to go look at. Well, these new toys are pretty fun, but Im still kinda lonely. All I need now is a wife... Then I can sit back and relax and enjoy being successful. Now this is nice, loving wife, good job, lots of toys. I should build me a nice big house by the lake. Then Id have it all. Ive got to go talk to the loan officer about that educational assistance so I can send my kids to one of their top choice ivy league schools. When does the cycle end? The problem is, life doesnt build to some climatic point where we can sit back as say "Now Im happy and successful." It just keeps chugging on like a machine. And yet, we keep looking for that magic something that will complete the puzzle.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/02/1430229&mode=thread&tid=99

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook