Wednesday, March 7, 2007

In Praise Of Simplicity In Our Programming Lives

Amen!

Now saying I like simple doesn't mean I like useless or powerless functionality. Einstein's famous equation E=MC2 doesn't look like much but it changed the world. He (and those his work was based on) took a lot of time to come up with how to express the concept in this compact form. The trouble with a lot of software that I have seen is that the architects, designers and coders either don't or can't take the time (or aren't imaginative or experienced enough) to understand how to create something that does the job with a minimum of complexity. Sometimes the tools or frameworks or environments we are forced to work in or with don't make it possible. That's a sad thing.

Sometimes what we are working on is complicated to understand, code and create. My argument is not to simplify the requirements for what we are doing but to find the simplest, most effective way to implement them. It's not that I want to write code so simple my mother could understand it; I want to find the minimum of complexity (the "not simpler" clause).


http://codist.biit.com/fiche/thecodist/article/in-praise-of-simplicity-in-our-programming-lives

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook