Saturday, December 16, 2006

Bigfoot! : The True Story of Apes in America

A very fun little book from Lauren Coleman on the facts, and fiction behind the myth of the great north american ape. Well documented, humorous but deadly serious at the same time. I waffle on the topic -- on one hand I want it to be true, but on the other as the population of Canada and America tops 400 million I am skeptical.

I do have some personal history on the topic. I'm reminded of the summers I spent up at my uncle's cabin in the backwoods of B.C. One day we went out and talked to one of his neighbors who showed me casts that he had made on his property nearby of these large footprints. Now, I was probably 8 or 9 but these things were freakin' huge -- the length of my torso or so and so big I could barely lift them. My uncle seemed to take it seriously but maybe it was just for my benefit. The summer or two before, my best friend and I had gone to the small theater in Drayton and saw some kind of Bigfoot documentary where hunters went off and found Bigfoot with dramatic results -- they threw rocks down on the cabin the hunters were staying in and had to be fought off. We spent many afternoons after school in the woods around Drayton setting up bigfoot detection traps and looking for footprints.

Who knows? Another family member swore he saw what at first looked to be a bear while rafting down the North Saskatchewan river near town. It was in the water and looked up when the raft approached, then got up on two legs and ran away like a man.
http://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-True-Story-Apes-America/dp/0743469755/sr=8-3/qid=1166418845/ref=sr_1_3/102-2845328-8416163?ie=UTF8&s=books

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook