According to fundamental laws of physics, time is just another coordinate -- hash marks along a line with scarcely a preferred direction or flow. Yet the mind perceives time as an irreversible stream, moving from past to future, experienced in the present. Manipulating time may make for good science fiction, but its hardly conceivable to those unfortunates who dont have a Tardis or an H.G. Wells secret recipe. How can science bridge the gaping gulf between these two versions of time? This week, about 50 scientists gather in the Slovakian town of Tatranska Lomnica for a four-day workshop to explore this issue. Addressing psychological, mathematical, physical and "borderline" research, the event is a crossroads of disciplines and paradigms.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52703,00.html
Popular Posts
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
I'm always fascinated by ways to get stuff done, particularly at work. It's changed quite a bit since I've been in my current r...
-
Good, good movie in every sense of the term. 8/10. http://www.newvoyages.com
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...