"The subsurface ice detected by the Odyssey instruments represents only the tip of an iceberg frozen under ground," Jim Bell of Cornell University, wrote in a commentary in Science. Spacecraft sent to Mars in the 1970s probably missed the ice by just a few inches, Boyton said. "The interesting thing is, it looks like the Viking 2 lander actually landed in a region that we think probably had the same ice beneath it," he said. "If they could have dug down a meter deep instead of 10 to 20 cm they could have found this ice. Isnt that interesting? They were probably right on top of it all the time and never had the slightest idea it was there."
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52822,00.html
Tuesday, May 28, 2002
Popular Posts
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
I'm always fascinated by ways to get stuff done, particularly at work. It's changed quite a bit since I've been in my current r...
-
Good, good movie in every sense of the term. 8/10. http://www.newvoyages.com
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...