I'm currently watching the live feed and it looks like NASA is announcing the presence of water in the near surface of Mars -- namely in the form of saturated sediment (mud). They've seen evidence of water that boils off rapidly in the thin atmosphere of Mars during small avalanches in the mid-latitudes. They're talking about a handful of swimming pools of water in each event. This is the "Squirting Gun" for water on Mars.
There's also a serendipitous discovery of new dark spots on Mars which have appeared in the past few months. They look to be very recent impact event craters which allow us to see the subsurface details from Mars which haven't been eroded. In essence, you can go look from orbit at the geology of Mars without digging. The bad news is that ~12 big impacts happen per year and may be hazardous to astronauts on the surface.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podcasting/jpl-mgs-20061206.html
Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Popular Posts
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...