After almost a year of pretty much exclusively using open source tools at home, here's my list of indispensable tools:
Gantt Project. This is a great java-based project management tool. Because it's java, it works in windows, linux, and one would presume, osx.
Open Office. What better enabler is there than a free, robust office suite. It's bloated, a bit buggy and slow, but frees you from the shackles of needing Microsoft Office.
FreeMind. This is a very robust and reliable java-based "mind-mapping" tool. I can't really describe it except to say that it's great for brainstorming in a non-linear fashion. I use it for goal setting and idea generation.
The GIMP. Want 60% of the functionality of Photoshop at 0% of the price? The GIMP is easy to use, flexible, and a powerful image editor.
Nvu is a descent wysiwyg html editor that handles divs and layers very well.
Firefox. 'Nuff said.
Amarok. Best player there is. Handles your collection, downloads the artwork, builds dynamic playlists, has ipod connectivity, talks to last.fm to get suggested tracks -- I don't even use playlists anymore, I queue up a few tracks that I'm in the mood in and I let Amarok/last.fm suggest the rest.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Popular Posts
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...