The Phase I project was very successful. Our system analysis indicates that a 10mg instrument payload could be sent to 250 AU in 10 years using 30 milligrams of anti-hydrogen. This amount of antimatter is clearly within the product _on potential of the US within the next 40 years using currently accepted accelerator technologies. In addition, preliminary calculations also indicate that this architecture could enable a similar probe to be sent to the next star, Alpha Centaur, in 40 years using grams of antimatter. Previous investigations by JPL had concluded that _lograms of antimatter would be needed for an interstellar mission.
http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/studies/abstract/850Howe.html
Thursday, May 6, 2004
Popular Posts
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...