Evidence pointing to possible alien life on Mars today has been suggested by the recent methane detected in the atmosphere of the Red Planet by the European Mars Express spacecraft and confirmed by Earth-based telespcope observations. Michael Mumma of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, when asked if the methane was biological in origin, said "I think it is, myself personally." in a report posted on Slashdot. The discovery of past oceans of salty water by one of the two Mars Exploration Rovers recently adds scientific excitement to the confirmed discovery of atmospheric methane raising human hopes of finding life on Mars. Methane exists only brifely in the Mars atmosphere and must be replinished frequently to be sustained with two working theories now before scientists: living microbes or active volcanoes. Methane has a relatively short lifetime on Mars for atmospheric gases, about 300 years or so, scientists believe there must be some process at work to keep replenishing its concentration in the atmosphere.
http://www.mywisecounty.com/news/033004-1.htm
Monday, March 29, 2004
Popular Posts
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...