Cool... I wonder if you can ping it?A relatively limited budget of $15 million for a new NASA satellite has encouraged engineers to turn to the Internet for inexpensive ways to actually operate the spacecraft and its communications with Earth. Mission managers will actually be able to operate the spacecraft from anywhere that has an Ethernet port with Web access.The Cosmic Hot Interstellar Plasma Spectrometer (CHIPS) spacecraft will examine the stuff between stars, the so-called void of space that is actually rich with hot gas. "CHIPS will be the first mission ever to use end-to-end satellite operations over the Internet with TCP/IP and FTP," says Jeff Janicik, SpaceDevs program manager and flight director for the mission, the company?s first. "What that means is, essentially, the entire ground and flight software architecture are based on standard Internet protocols that you use everyday with PCs. Its like FTPing a file from space."
http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/chips_tech_021218.html
Wednesday, December 18, 2002
Popular Posts
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...