The concept of dragons was probably brought to Japan around 2,000 years ago, along with the technology for paddy agriculture. Their images have been found on the walls of barrow tombs dating to the late sixth and early seventh centuries. Out in the countryside, the Chinese images were combined with indigenous snake-spirits to form deities called ryujin, or "dragon-gods." Ryujin are common guardian spirits inhabiting lakes, marshes, rivers, and also bays and straights along the coast. Fishermen and farmers pray to them for rich harvests, big catches, and favorable weather, and legends like that of Imba Marsh can be found just about everywhere.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20020723wo72.htm
Popular Posts
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
This is a very interesting read. I wouldn't call myself a scientist by any means, however I do think that this book collates and describ...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...
-
The first thing that you have to know is this book is long. Too long, actually, but by less than you'd think at 933 pages (on my iPad). ...
-
Now ideas for advances in data routing are beginning to emerge from a surprisingly simple model: the ant.Indeed, applying the study of ants ...