A main focus of work towards nuclear fusion reactors is inertial confinement fusion (ICF), which uses powerful energy beams, such as lasers, to compress and heat hydrogen fuel to fusion temperatures, and uses the inertia of the fuel itself to confine it long enough for fusion to occur. A modification of the fast igniter approach to ICF, reported this week, could be a significant advance towards efficient laser fusion ignition. The new system makes use of ultra-intense laser light with a novel compression geometry to achieve a laser driven implosion with picosecond fast heating by a laser pulse timed to coincide with peak compression.
http://www.nature.com/nature/links/010823/010823-4.html
Thursday, August 23, 2001
Popular Posts
-
I've learned a great many things over the past month... "friends" at work are not neccessarily friends, people you thought wer...
-
I'm always fascinated by ways to get stuff done, particularly at work. It's changed quite a bit since I've been in my current r...
-
Lots of funny stuff today. Tim, check this one. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3
-
Somewhere along the way I learned about this magic trick. It was probably from one of those “Owl” magazines you used to get for free or an e...
-
Brad Dalton is the first to admit his theory is far-fetched: that bacteria could account for odd light emissions, as well as the reddish hue...
-
Some interesting tidbits about Lynchs Mulholland Drive , as well as David Bowies next movie apperance. http://www.crowdsurfer.com/index.php3...
-
We see it doing its thing, starting to fight against ordinary gravity, Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute said about the ...
-
Good, good movie in every sense of the term. 8/10. http://www.newvoyages.com
-
I had the pleasure to attend the IBM Think conference in wet and chilly San Fran from Feb 11-14th of this year. The event overall was ...